Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Exclusive interview with Re'Nauta Bell

Re’Nauta Bell
She's different, random, spontaneous, and above everything, extremely talented. Meet makeup artist Re'Nauta Bell; I call her the "Makeup Gaga". I'm totally obsessed with randomness and my obsession with meeting new individuals with talent  randomly on a daily basis brought me over to meet Re'Nauta Bell. You won't believe what this young lady can do. Now get ready and take a glimpse before going on this amazing ride!


SMUDGED by R. Bell (Bad Girl) from R. Bell on Vimeo.


1. Where are you located at? Have you traveled outside of the state to work, like for example, to Los Angeles, CA? Tell us about it! If not, would you do it you were given the opportunity to do so? How much time would you need in advance to make personal arrangements and what would be your requirements when it comes to out of state projects?
I’m physically located in Atlanta, GA, but my mind is usually hovering over any place tropical.  I have yet to make any major travel arrangements to work outside of Atlanta but, if given the opportunity, I’d be all over it.  Being that I’m a wife and mom of two youngin’s, I’d probably need about a week to get them situated.  If it was just me to worry about, you could call me in the morning and I’d be on a flight that evening to wherever you need me to be.

2. So your work is distinguished mostly by the extreme application of colors (As far as the amount of makeup that will be applied), is that right? Now I noticed also that you love to use really bright, multi colors. Is this what you mostly work with when given the chance to freestyle?
I definitely do love using bright and bold colors in unusual ways.  I’m an artist in many facets of the word and I love everything abstract so the face is just another canvas really.  Actually, when I freestyle, often times, I may do bold colors but I generally apply the makeup in a more typical fashion.  When I do my crazy stuff, I’ve thought about it for a while.  I’ll usually be sleeping then bolt upright in bed because I’ve just had that “Aha!” moment and then I know what kind of lunacy I’ll be bringing to the shoot.  The idea is usually pretty loose and, well, abstract but I kind of know what direction I want to go in from that point.  Now, once I have all my supplies and I’m at the shoot, I do kind of freestyle from that point.  I never really know how I’m going to apply everything or how it will look in the end but that’s the fun part!


3. I read on your portal that going shopping for materials that you will be using for a project can be quite an experience! Tell us a little bit more about it! Do you get special instructions sometimes? How easy or difficult it is actually for you when it comes to choosing certain makeup items that actually possess different types of textures? What do you think are the best makeup brands out there?
When I go shopping I think the hardest thing for me is figuring out which store to go to.  Once I’m there, I’m golden. I never really know what I’m going to buy so I simply peruse the entire store until I find things that may make my concept work.  I can easily have anything from chalk to blocks of foam in my cart and it will all be for the one shoot.  Sometimes my clients will give me instructions but not often.  If they do, it’s because they want “regular” makeup.  Otherwise, they let me go wild and do my thing.  Sometimes it can be difficult selecting makeup items with different textures because I don’t know how they will adhere or apply to the face.  Nevertheless, I’ll always take a chance and try out something new.  If it doesn’t work it doesn’t work and I’ll go in another direction.  I always carry a bag of goodies with me in the event that I need a backup plan.  You know, it would be typical for me to say MAC is one of the best but their eye pigments and lip glass really are bad ass.  I also like Laura Mercier bronzer…it’s to die for and works pretty much on every skin type!



4. I noticed that in one of your latest works you used a lot of glitter, which adds up to my theory that you definitely love to accentuate your models' cheekbones. Any reason for that? How do you think that accentuating a model's cheek bones adds more to her beauty?
OMG I am a huge fan of cheek bones... especially the high ones. Cheek bones are one the most underused and under-accentuated yet most beautiful parts of a woman’s face.  Cheek bones give a woman her character and, depending on the angle you are looking at her, can totally change the way she looks.  People forget about the cheek bones but they can offer mystique, personality, and sometimes the hint of a secret and that can be very appealing to those who are attracted to the lady.  Forgetting about the cheek bones is kind of like wearing your best dress but not getting your hair done.  It’s a big old fail.  DON’T FORGET THE CHEEK BONES!


5. What are some of the most memorable experiences you have ever lived working as a makeup artist? Have you had the chance to for public figures?
The best thing about doing what I do is meeting people. I have met some of the coolest folks in the entire world and I can call a lot of them my friends.  Most of the people I work with are artistic and open-minded and are the kind of people I can call in the middle of the night if I have an emergency.  I never thought in a million years that I could meet so many awesome people while I’m working but I have.  Sometimes we fight and get mad at each other but it’s always in an effort to achieve a great end result so everyone gets over it,  we make it happen, then we are friends again. I’ve made some great friends working but I’ve also pissed some people off and all of those experiences and shoots are memorable.   

Each shoot is my baby and I absolutely love what I do. I have had the chance to work with a couple of public figures. The best way to put this would be to say that some celebrities are awesome to work with and others really just plain old suck.  I’m really not the kind of person to bite my tongue but sometimes I’ve had to.  I guess that’s just part of the game but I always feel like I’m literally going to explode when I’m working with someone who is just being difficult. At the end of those kinds of gigs, the first thing I do when I get to my car is scream so I can release. I refuse to take that kind of drama home. Then I head to the store to pick up some wine lol.
 
Tyra Banks makeup looks (eanext.com)
6. What celebrities you think have the coolest and most talented makeup artists?
It would be pretty cliché for me to say Lady Gaga’s MUA is the coolest and most talented so I won’t.  Billy B knows his worth.  Honestly, there were three celebrities who immediately came to mind and the first was Mr. Jay Manuel from America's Next Top Model.  His makeup always looks so flawless and fres h.  I love it!  It looks amazing next to his perfectly frosted and coiffed “do”.  I’m also a fan of Tyra Banks’ makeup.  Her MUA really knows how accentuate her best feature.  Her eyes always make my jaw drop.  Last but not least, I’d have to say that I love, love, love Scarlett Johansen when she is on the red carpet.  I love her classic look and her MUA gets it on point every time.  She definitely knows how to wear a red lip the right way.

7. Thank you so much How can everyone get a hold of you? Where else can we see your work?
There are many ways to get a hold of me.  You can call me at 404.313.7413.  You can email me at renauta.bell@gmail.com.  You can follow me on Twitter @SMUDGEDbyRBell.  You can hit up my fan page on Facebook at SMUDGED by R. Bell.  You can follow my blog at www.smudgedrbell.tumblr.com.  You can see my work at www.modelmayhem.com/rbell.  Whew!  I’m pretty accessible.


No comments:

Post a Comment